On Life and Friends



In life, particular realities show us that we can’t live all by ourselves. We need someone - probably a better half, to fill that certain void. We call them partners, buddies, tropa, barkada, or simply friends. I fondly remember way back during my childhood, my aunts kept on reminding me not to go out and mingle with our neighbors. Especially to play with the other kids since they believe I won’t be learning anything good from them. That strict rule kept me away from what could have been a happy childhood. I spent most of my time watching cartoon shows, reading books and listening to educational tapes. I remember an occasion when I would sneak out of the gate so I could chance upon any kid and play. Suddenly I would just hear someone shout my name, so I would hurriedly rush back home. That was how my childhood was. The only people I played with were my classmates in grade school. For me, life that time proved to be a routine. I indeed met a lot of friends. We played, we shared our dreams and talked of a bright future ahead of us. When we were in sixth grade, it was time now to separate ways. Some decided to transfer to a school right next to ours while some just had to move to a farther place. Suddenly, what seemed to me was forever suddenly faded away. Childhood days are gone and another phase was about to unfold… High school life.

High School is certainly one of the best moments in a person’s life. Its the stage of self-discovery, of falling in and out of love, of happy go-luckiness and enjoyment. This is the point in life where a person discovers his so called “gifts”. Enthusiasm is at its peak. My high school life was not that really that colorful. I had encountered friends but not to a certain extent did our personalities meet. They were far from different from the kind of friends that I had in grade school. But still I had to fit in to survive. I called it “Pakikisama”. Luckily,as years progressed, I met friends whose personality complemented well with mine. Suddenly I started to discover more of myself. I recall that I was so shy and timid before. I was so reluctant to talk infront of the class or deliver a piece assigned by the teacher. Those were the times of never-ending reports and all I would do is to muster the words scribbled on the paper as I read them infront. Then on, I started opening my hidden gifts to gradually improve myself. I now started developing self confidence and I did it well with the help of my friends. This is the reason why I believe that everyone has a hidden potential, it just has to be honed in order for it to be noticed. A pat on the shoulder and affirmation for a job well done coming from others helps a lot in improving our personality and character.

As High School days came to pass, another phase was about to unfold. College. Whew, the dreaded portion in any student’s life. This time, seriousness is the call of the times and studies meant burning the midnight candle even when the lights are on. I proved all of this wrong. In fact, my college years were the best years of my life. The school I enrolled in became my second home . It was one jeepney ride from our house and is situated near the old boulevard strip of historic Zamboanga. We really had very good professors who mentored us on real life and survival.Most of all, I had more friends than I used to before. Many of my classmates were transferees or shiftees. HRM was a fad course that time, and even up to now, because of the large chances that it’s students experience internship overseas.In fact, the school has tie ups now with hospitality institutions in Singapore and the US. Eventually, some of these friends Ive’d met left to try other courses and others just plainly disappeared for reasons unknown to me. It was a struggle indeed when I lost my closest friends, because my life revolved around them. Everyday, we studied together and even competed for grades. My life froze for a moment. But fortunately, as the seasons changed, new relationships were also made. It was at this time, that I met my bestfriend, who indeed made a lot of difference in my life. I revived my lost strength one again and started to make my presence visible in the affairs of the school. We were both active in school services, as she worked hand in hand with me in the school paper. At the time I met her, I knew right then and there that we would click and I wasn't wrong. We both shared the same love for food, the same opinion on issues, and secrets that we only kept between both of us. Meeting her during that lazy afternoon was a moment I will never forget. After a year, she left and I too was left alone again, but still our friendship lived on despite the separation and distance. At this time, I already saved enough confidence. I decided to run as President of the College Student Council, which out of good luck turned to be at my favor. I tried with the best that I can and with the help of my team, create an active atmosphere of change in the college department. With a humble spirit, I am happy with my accomplishments. Now, I move forward to fulfill more of life. Moreover, the realization I have is this, that no matter how many friends you will lose or gain in life, at your life’s sunset you will be left all alone. Nobody will fight the battle called “life” for you. Its you who determines what  you ought to do with your life. Friends will just cross your path as you journey along the way,they will make the travel more inspiring and colorful as your imaginations may allow, but as you move along the threshold of life it's your move that counts. So make the most out of every moment there is. Take pictures and experience what joy the world can offer. Make friends and live a life well lived. It is yours, enjoy it!

Comments

Popular Posts