Buhay Nga Talaga, Weather Weather Lang!

Every year, millions of Filipinos grab the chance of leaving their homes to settle for a better work abroad. With the precedence of a looming population explosion in the country, inadequacy of jobs and increasing standard of living, Filipinos have no better way of supporting their families than to seek for jobs in other countries were the living conditions are quite at par than ours.

This was also the lament I had a year ago. I felt bored with my job and was so captivated with the work abroad fuzz that was taking the Philippine job scene. People I confided with told me that there were no more rooms for career advancement in any part of the country. Competition has been so stiff and the market for available job positions prove to be more chaotic than anyone could ever conceive it to be.

I have just resigned from a teaching stint in one of the catholic schools in Northern Mindanao. I worked there for three years as a full time college professor. At the time I accepted the job, I was still so consumed with the vigor and enthusiasm that any fresh graduate could ever have. I handled Hotel and Restaurant Management subjects. At that time,I found teaching as something that I loved doing- it was in my system. I was so passionate in sharing to my students the experiences, knowledge and ideas I have regarding the hospitality industry. Soon enough, I suddenly felt tired with the routine. I was slowly losing the dedication and passion I once had for something I believe I truly loved.I realized that there were still many things that I must pursue and discover. I felt inadequate as a teacher - for me I believe that you cannot give what you don't have. With this, several thoughts started to envelope my mind. I now begun considering other opportunities for advancement. I even got more motivated to pursue my career moves as soon as I learned that most of my classmates were now gainfully employed abroad.

With this, I now started browsing the internet for job postings of any kind, whether this may be a local post or a chance of working abroad, i never gave up any chance. All I wanted was to get out of the teaching world and to explore another career path. I told myself that my life has been so complacent and whether I like it or not, I must resign and look for another job. That became my goal. Soon enough, my students started noticing a few changes in me. I became more lax and more considerate than I was before. It was because I really had my mind fixed on my immediate plans.

Luckily after several web attempts, I got a response from one of the jobs I applied for. It was a job offer abroad. I was hired to fill up the Pantry Chef position of a Coffee Shop in Bahrain . After the long wait, I told myself that this was it. This was the moment I have been waiting for, now I can already have a good reason for me to resign from my current post.

Days after I got the offer, I officially handed my letter of resignation to my boss. I could sense that she had mixed emotions. She had second thoughts of parting with me and the responsibility she entrusted to me. But with God’s grace, she was just so kind and understanding to let me go. Now I finally got the signal. It was now the time for me to start another chapter in my life. The question is, was I really ready to start a life abroad and to move away from my comfort zone? That was the second best thing that was about to happen and the second greatest challenge as well. I had to condition myself to be ready - I had to grow up.

A month after, I finally left the Philippines for that job here abroad. I affirmed to myself that I can make it here and that I can survive all the challenges that may come my way. A few realizations now ring in my mind. Truly, life abroad is never that easy as what a typical Filpino way back home may perceive it to be. Its an endless struggle - trying to fit in, learn a new culture, immerse to a hostile environment yet striving to retain that old Filipino spirit. Pag OFW ka mapera ka, may kaya ka. That’s what others think, but its actually the other way around.Vis-a-vis, you earn much yet you also send and spend much.Its the homesick feeling that haunts every Filipino working abroad. You cannot help but think of home and the people close to your heart that you have left behind. You now begin counting the days when you will be seeing them again. Time will have to fly so fast, and to your surprise it is finally over Now, its time for you to back home.

Hardwork, perserverance and determination - these are the core values that OFW’s like me usually bear in mind. Life is a constant battle. Whether at home or abroad, it is still that traditional Filipino heart that beats in us. A heart so giving, that it is ready to laugh, to cry and to hold on no matter what. To all Filipinos working abroad and to the families they have left behind, be proud. You are the best! :)

Comments

Popular Posts