Revisiting Julie and Julia After a Decade


Watching Julie and Julia for the nth time  after 10 years since I posted a blog about this is therapy especially when I  feel depressed and mellow. Whenever I watch this, I tend to look back at my old self 30 years ago when I started to fall in love with food and cooking. It all began in our old and rustic kitchen where I would watch my aunt prepare her old time favorite dishes for the family. I would sneak in and help her by doing mundane tasks like chopping the onions , peeling the scalded tomatoes for the pigs trotters, pounding the biscocho and grilled liver for the beef stew  etc.



 I revel at the spectacle of seeing the warm sizzle of meat frying in the pan, of the aroma of freshly baked goodies coming out from the oven and getting my hands and mouth dirty from the pork blood stew or dinuguan as I devour it with gusto. Maybe that penchant that I have for food and cooking is what led me to this profession of being a chef.




At times thoughts keep on tinkering in my head, had I been smart enough I could have chosen a more gainful course when I was in college and had become more successful nonetheless. In my 15 years in this thankless profession I had undoubtedly mustered all the strength I had and uttered more expletive words unimaginable as I faced uphill and downfalls. But this I know, when the clouds of doubt sneak in I try to meander through time and look back on my old self. That small child who was filled with awe, passion and amazement and then I breathe and tap myself - you are never too old my friend just keep on going!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts