What's In a Bite? Chocolate Fudge Brownies!

Perfecting the exact chemistry in baking the best tasting and chewiest brownie has always been my lifetime quest as a baker. Yes, I do bake a lot of sweet confections but nothing can ever come close to the triviality as to making a brownie.One single mistake and  everything gets ruined instantly. Indeed baking is an exact science, but exact isn't the ideal word to use in describing the difficulty in handling brownies, critical I must say is the best word to use.

Ever since I was in College I have always fancied brownies, especially the ones from Goldilocks which lends a very chewy and sweet characteristic to it. But one thing that fascinates me with brownies are the ones that have a shiny and cracked top yet still retains that chewy and moist texture with a rich chocolate color and aroma. So, I was determined to go on a brownie experimental chase as soon as I get to perfect the recipe. After 4 years in the loopholes, I have finally done it and I am proud to brag that it is indeed the best and chewiest brownie I have ever baked and  tasted in my lifetime. 

As foodie, It has been  a habit for me to check on every bakeshop my eyes set sight on and spend a few bucks to try on their prized brownie and decode whatever it must have in it. And among those, Baskin Robbins, Mrs Fields and a local bakeshop in our city Mrs Brown's passed my criteria on the ideal brownie. The only thing though, is that there is no universal feature in each of  each of these goodies that passes to  the criteria of  chewy, shiny and cracked. I think each of these bakeshops focuses on one single feature alone and to combine these features altogether is what I badly need to accomplish.



So after years of pass and fail, was born my brownie recipe. Of course,I will not divulge the exact recipe of the brownie since it is graded "Top Secret"  but I will share with you a sneak peek of the ingredients and the procedure I used. Unlike  other mediocre brownie recipes which call for the butter to be creamed with the sugar,my version required that the butter be melted over fire in a pan and incorporated with the chocolate and the sugar. Now, you may ask what makes the brownie chewy? It is the sugar and the glucose that contributes to this feature.A few spoons of glucose does wonders to it. Then to this mixture you add the eggs, vanilla extract and the flour sifted together with the leavening agent. Note that your brownie should not be over mixed otherwise you will get a crumbly and dry texture after. The ideal topping for the brownie is cashew nuts. You may try on using walnuts but I don't like the off-mouth taste I get.  I do not guarantee you that you will perfect this in your first attempt. I assume you will also go through failures same as I mine.So be more  patient because I  truly mean it, after all the hardwork the result would be undeniably worthwhile. So enjoy and happy baking!

Comments

p. cook said…
You just described the perfect brownie indeed... cracked on top and chewy on the inside! I've tried Mrs. Fields but it doesn't seem quite right, plus it's too sweet...

Popular Posts