Tocilog On My Day Off

The nicest thing of being in an open country like Bahrain, is the fact that you can enjoy the usual culinary comforts you used to have in your native country. Although the kingdom imposed certain restrictions on several import items  that are are viewed unacceptable by their religion, items like pork and alcohol are still made available for the expats living here. Even the customs authorities at the airport are not so strict in inspecting religious materials or pork items brought in by inbound visitors unlike in other Muslim countries.

One of my favorite comfort foods, especially for breakfast is Pork Tocino. This with garlic rice and over easy eggs and a cup of coffee will give you that energy boost to start your day. Last week, I bought two packs of Pampanga's Best Classic Pork Tocino and a kilo of pork liempo. I stored it inside our freezer believing that it was really functioning well. After 5 days, I finally got the inspiration to cook pork adobo knowing that I still have  some pork in the freezer. To my surprise, I realized that the pork already smelled so awful as the freezer thermostat was no longer working. What the heck! My two dinars gone to waste! Thankfully, the tocino maybe because of the preservatives in it, was still in good condition. So, I decided to transfer it to another freezer.


So Tocino it was for lunch. I sliced the meat into small pieces and simmered it in water. I allowed the water to evaporate till it dries and the pork gets fried in its own oil. Since I prefer my tocino a bit sweet, I usually add sugar and soy sauce. Meanwhile, I also had fried egg to go with my tocino and some fried garlic seasoned with salt topped on steamed jasmine rice. The only thing that's missing are spoonfuls of Atcharang Bongga to complete this meal of joyful comfort. Nevertheless, it is still worth the misfortune and the pleasure that is my day off. Life is indeed sweet! 

Comments

Popular Posts