The Letter


I got this story while I was browsing some stuff on the net. I found the letter quite moving in a way so might as well post it here. ....



  
 A Letter To My Son
Dear Son,
You're only three years old,and at this point in your life you can't read, much less understand what I'm going to try to tell you in this letter. But I've been thinking a lot about the life that you have ahead of you, about my life so far as I reflect on what I've learned,and about my role as a dad in trying to prepare you for the trials that you will face in the coming years.

I hope to help you along your path by sharing some of the best of what I've learned. As with any advice, take it with a grain of salt. What works for me might not work with you.

LIFE IS NOT A COMPETITION

You will meet many people who will try to outdo you - in school, in college or at work. They'll try to have nicer cars,bigger houses,nicer clothes,cooler gadgets. To them, life is a competition. They have to do better than their peers to be happy.

Here's a secret : Life isn't a competition. It's a journey. If you spend that journey always trying to impress others, to outdo others, you're wasting your journey. Instead, learn to enjoy the journey. Make it a journey of happiness, of constant learning, of continual improvement, of love.

Don't worry about having a nicer car or house or a better-paying job etc.None of that matters a whit, and none of it will make you any happier. You'll have these things and then only want more. Instead, learn to be satisfied with having enough and then use the time you would have wasted trying to earn money to buy those things. Use that time doing things you love.

Find your passion, and pursue it doggedly. Don't settle for a job that pays the bills. Life is too short to waste on a job you hate.

LOVE SHOULD BE YOUR RULE

Some would live by the rule of success. Their lives will be stressful, unhappy and shallow. Others would live by the rule of selfishness''putting their needs above those of others. They will live lonely lives, and will also be unhappy.

Live your life by the rule of love. Love your spouse, your children,your parents,your friends, with all of your heart. Give to them what they need, and show them not cruelty nor disapproval nor coldness nor disappointment, but only love. Open your soul to them.
And most of all - love yourself. While others may criticize you, learn not to be so hard on yourself, to think that your ugly or dumb or unworthy of love...but to think instead that you are a wonderful human being, worthy of happiness and love and learn to love yourself for who you are.

Finally, know that I love you and always will. You are starting out on a weird,scary,daunting, but ultimately incredibly wonderful journey, and I will be there for you when I can.

Love,
Your Dad



Comments

Popular Posts